AIR ABRASION DENTISTRY WIHOUT THE NEED TO DRILL FOR CAVITIES
What is Air Abrasion?
Air abrasion is a drill-less technique that V-KARE Family Dentistry & Cosmetics Clinic, Champlin MN provides our patients to remove tooth decay as well as for other procedures. It works most effectively when using Composite (or Tooth-Colored Fillings).
How Does Air Abrasion Work?
The air abrasion process makes use of an instrument that works like a mini sandblaster to spray away decay by using a fine stream of particles aimed at the decayed portion of the tooth. These particles are made of silica, aluminum oxide, or a baking soda mixture and are propelled toward the tooth surface by compressed air or a gas that runs through the dental hand-piece. Small particles of decay on the tooth surface are removed as the stream of particles strikes them while the particles of decay are then “suctioned” away through a thin tube.
Is Air Abrasion Safe?
Yes, air abrasion is very safe. The only precautions needed before air abrasion are protective eye wear (to prevent eye irritation from the spray) and the use of a rubber dam (a rubber sheet that fits around teeth) or protective resin applied to nearby teeth and gums to protect areas of the mouth that aren’t being treated. The suctioning of particles also prevents them from being breathed into the lungs.
What Are the Advantages of Air Abrasion?
Compared with using the traditional drilling method, the advantages of air abrasion include:
- Generates no heat, sound, pressure, or vibration – it make cause slight sensitivity.
- Generally reduces the need for Sedation, especially if the cavity is shallow.
- Leaves much more of the healthy tooth tissue behind.
- The working area remains relatively dry – a real advantage in the placement of Composite (or Tooth-Colored Fillings).
- Reduces the risk of fracturing and chipping of the tooth, which can affect the life span of a filling.
- Allows us to treat multiple sites in the mouth during a single visit.
All in all the procedure is relatively simple and quick.
If you have questions about our Dental Services please contact one of our staff by calling V-KARE Family Dentistry & Cosmetics Clinic, Champlin, MN at 763-323-6564, or you also can send us a message through our online Contact Us Form